Since we are staying home, and most schools are closed as well, I thought it might be a help to recommend some of my favorite travel-themed movies that you can easily find on the many streaming services that are out there. What better way to spend a couple of hours with your family than watching together, dreaming together, and getting inspiration for your next trip?
- Eat, Pray, Love (2010) – A married woman realizes how unhappy her marriage really is, and that her life needs to go in a different direction. After a painful divorce, she takes off on a round-the-world journey to “find herself” in Italy, India & Bali.
- Under the Tuscan Sun (2003) – Based on the book by Frances Mayes, the film is about a recently divorced writer who buys a villa in Tuscany on a whim, hoping it will lead to a change in her life. The beauty of Cortona and the Italian people are featured.
- Letters to Juliet (2010) – traveling to Verona Italy with her busy fiancé, a young American journalist gets involved in an adventure based on a love letter a tourist left at the monument to Romeo & Juliet’s unrequited love.
- Mamma Mia (2008) & Mamma Mia: Here we go again (2018) – based on the wildly successful Broadway musical with a score from ABBA, this story tracks the lovely story of Donna and her daughter Sophie as they both grow and learn from the past.
- National Lampoon’s European Vacation (1985) – Just for giggles, follow the Griswold family through their comedic adventures in France, Italy & Germany because we all need a laugh right now!
- Out of Africa (1985) – Meryl Streep and Robert Redford star in this tragic love story about a married baroness who falls for a big-game hunter, based on the autobiographical novel by Isak Dinesen. Filmed on location in the U.K. and Kenya, including the Shaba National Game Reserve.
- Roman Holiday (1953) – A bored and sheltered princess escapes her guardians and royal obligations to explore Rome on her own. She meets an American newsman who, seeking an exclusive story, pretends ignorance of her true dientity. But his plan fails as they fall in love.