Just finished reading Karen Marie Moning’s, ICED, which takes place in Dublin, Ireland. So much history, culture and folklore: Celts, and Druids and Faeries oh my! Oh Dublin, how I want to visit thee!
This got me thinking…if you go to Dublin, what are the top five literary things you should do/see/experience while there?
1. The Old Library at Trinity College — Not only is the library itself amazing, but no visit is complete without seeing the “Turning Darkness into Light” exhibition which leads you to the infamous Book of Kells. It was written in 9th century Scotland and arrived in Ireland in the mid 1600’s. Trinity College has been its home since 1661.
2. The Dublin Writers Museum — Be sure to visit the restored Georgian mansion where you can explore and enjoy Dublin’s literary celebrities. What a way to experience literary history, through the books, letters and portraits of Joyce, Shaw, Wilde, Yeats and others!
3. Dublin’s Literary Festivals — Dublin hosts a number of literary festivals throughout the year. The Dublin Writers Festival takes place in late spring (May/Jun). You’ll find a number of literary greats doing readings, presenting workshops, etc. They even have readings for children! The Bloomsday Festival is held June 16th every year. This festival is all things Leopold Bloom from Ulysses. Don’t forget the Mountains to the Sea dlr Book Festival, which presents the very best of Irish and international writers reading from their work!
4. The Brazen Head Pub — No visit to Dublin can be complete without visiting The Brazen Head, the oldest pub in Ireland! Here you’ll experience the Ireland of long ago, a candlelit dinner while exploring stories of Irish folklore and faeries; where the unseen was never really far away! (Hm…wonder if Karen Marie Moning experienced this? If she did, maybe this provided the idea for her Fever Series!)
5. Dublin Literary Pub Crawl — Who says one pub is enough? Experience a show that crawls from pub to pub with actors performing works from Irish greats! You’ll hear works from Beckett, Joyce, Wilde and others.
These are just a few of the many wonderful things to experience in Dublin! Have you been to Ireland? What were your favorite haunts? Still haven’t experienced the Emerald Isle? Well, what are you waiting for? Let Ingenious Travel help you remedy that today. Contact us to go over the many possibilities!